Purchase 'Orchids' and the Orchids Sensory Box together to say 15% off their individual prices.
by Kim Bogren Owen
Photography by Amber Owen, Ron Hanko, and Mike Pearson
The perfect book for a young orchid or flower enthusiast, as well as for the parent who is a lover of orchids, 'Orchids' features beautiful photographs that bring the beauty and appeal of orchids to life. In addition to introducing children to the diversity of orchids, this book introduces simple science concepts. Developed for children between the ages of 2 and 8, the concepts in this books include opposites, diversity, pollination, and symmetry.
This book includes a page with ideas for activities that expand on the concepts introduced in 'Orchids.' These activities include simple art projects, as well as conversation starters to make the concepts meaningful to young children.
Here is an excerpt from 'Orchids:'
"Like people, orchids come in all shapes and sizes,
Some have leaves that reach for the sun,
Others have leaves that hug the ground . . . "
Discover orchids and pollinators with this sensory box. Designed to expand on the themes explored in the picture book, 'Orchids,' this bin encourages children to explore plant science and pollination.
Each box includes:
* Wooden box (12" by 8.5" by 4") with lid
* 5 artificial orchids (different types and colors)
* Artificial orchid leaves with roots
* Metal Scoop
* Ceramic pots (3 sizes to explore volume)
* A mushroom hummingbird
* A plastic bee
* A plastic bat
* A plastic butterfly
* Orchid bark
Contains small parts. Not appropriate for children under 3 years.
* Introduce to the children before you put it out and ask for their ideas on how
they can use it
* Use to create a garden shop for dramatic play by adding a cash register and
* Place in the science area to encourage the study of plants and pollination
* Create a space for quiet play for one or two children
Colors of orchids may vary from those shown in the photos
Meets the requirements for the ECERS-R and FCCERS in science (activities) and math (comparing quantity).